7 things you can do to make your cats time travelling in the car less stressful
For our feline friends travelling in the car can be a very stressful experience. Cats are control freaks who value their territory and being taken outside of that is not ideal. The most common reason to take cats in the car is vet visits and cattery stays. Below are some things you can do to make their trip less stressful:
- If you can, start young: when you get a new kitten why not take them on some short trips in the car to get them used to travelling. This should be done sensitively ensuring all trips are positive. If they become stressed during the trial trips then speak to your vet or a local behaviourist for advice http://www.abtcouncil.org.uk/.
- Have the carrier out all the time at home with lots of treats and comfy bedding - make it a place they want to be. Video LINK - Get your cat used to the carrier
- The right carrier: Ensure the carrier is strong, big enough and easy to clean. Also make sure you include some absorbent material and comfortable bedding inside.
- Cover the carrier: As we know cats like to hide when they feel uneasy so covering over is a simple way to make them feel more secure. Do ensure good airflow though.
- Ensure the carrier is secured: You can do this easily by placing the carrier in the footwell behind the front seat or using a seatbelt if the carrier needs to be placed on a seat. Video LINK - Getting your cat used to travel
- FELIWAY OPTIMUM: Feliway is clinically proven to help reduce the signs of stress while travelling. Spray this on the bedding inside the carrier as well as on the cover. Leave to dry for 15 minutes before placing your cat into their carrier.
- Why not get a FELIWAY CLASSIC Travel Pack. The pack contains a 20ml FELIWAY CLASSIC Spray along with a free cat carrier cover. The cover is easy to wash and covers the carrier while at the same time allowing ventilation.
HOW TO TRAVEL WITH YOUR CAT IN THE CAR
See this comprehensive video on how to travel with a cat in the car. This was created with the cat ...
How to get your cat in a cat carrier
See this comprehensive video on how to get a cat into a cat carrier. This was created with the cat ...